Sunday, March 14, 2010

48 hr Video Race

So last week before spring I was told in class that in a few weeks I will have to do a 48 hour video race and that I couldn’t use regular film or video cameras. This leaves regular consumer picture cameras, flat bed scanners and cell phone cameras etc. The examples showed in class were a lot of examples of stop motion animation, either with toys and household items or with paints and other art supplies. So Im thinking I should do a stop motion film because I have a 10 megapixel consumer camera and my own umbrella light kit. If I do a stop motion film ill shoot on two’s, which means that if there is 24 frames in a second and 60 seconds in a min then that’s 24 times 60 which is 1440 frames, divide by two is 720. So my film needs to be 720 frames long. That sounds like a lot and if im thinking that now then one of two things is going to happen when I shoot it. Either im going to get half way through my 720 frames and only a fourth of the way through my story outline or Im going to finish shooting my story and have a hundred plus frames to go. I would like to make this film a narrative, im not big on experimental plots and I think it would make it better plan out if I was telling a story verse just making an interesting moving picture. Keeping this in mind I remember seeing a film I saw a few years back where this kid made a stop motion film to this song that I can’t remember the name of it but the choirs goes like this “I will walk five-hundred miles and will walk five hundred more…”. In his video it was a side view drawing of a guy walking down a road, and then doing whatever the song was singing about. I really liked this video so for starters I should listen to my music library and see if anything sparks my imagination. Once I have my basic plot and story down I will storyboard it, which I never enjoy doing but im immensely appreciatively to have it once its done. It would be nice to know by storyboarding just a rough estimate of frames each shoot will take, I guess I don’t have the experience to do that just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment