Friday, February 26, 2010

St. Louis

Now that I have some hands on experience and a better understanding of what it takes to make a camera less film, I can now appreciate more a film like St. Louis by the Scratch Film Junkies. For starters, I’ve figured out that animating horizontal rather than vertical is so much harder and time consuming, this is mostly because its quicker to turn the film horizontal and just color lines across the film strip rather then make each individual lines horizontally. So I was really impressed with the opening credits of St. Louis, how they came horizontal across the screen. I know that must have taken a really long time. It would be hard for me to have done something like that. That being said, I found it kind of funny that later on in the film they had vertical lines moving back and forth across the screen, which of course this took no time at all. I greatly enjoyed the little bit of live action from the found footage, it worked well to break up the animation and also because I wasn’t excepting it. I should assume that the plain from the found footage was the St. Louis plain and that’s where the name of the film comes from. St. Louis did stay true to form with its Mickey Mouseing with hand drawn arrows. But I can’t bash the arrows too much, it did show me that there are other ways to animate the film beside turn one object into another. That is to make then fatter and skinner, smaller and bigger. I still have one question, who was that guy in the film? It seemed to have highlighted his face and considering that the plain was important, which the film being named after it. I guess that guy must have been too, but I didn’t get reference. Over all, I enjoyed this Scratch Film Junkies film over there last one, it seemed to be more about having and showing interesting images rather then animation that is just Mickey Moused to the disorganized street band music.
So far my experience with camera less film making has been a mixed bag. I greatly enjoyed the muiti-plane animation project and I can’t wait to put it all together. However, Im really really hating the rhythmic editing project, to start off with I do not enjoy editing, second the computer I’m working on the final cut pro like to literally freeze ever ten min and then when im trying to fix final cut pro the computer itself would freeze. I cant not put into words how much this irritates me.

No comments:

Post a Comment