Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Projections of Sound On Image

This article must have been written by a sound editor, because it seems like he downplays the role and importance of image in some spots. I’ve always been told “don’t tells the audience, show the audience”, which means that in film you use images, first and for most to communicate. Its really easy to say to the audience “she is grief stricken with the sudden death of her husband and wants to commit suicide” but it completely different thing to show her laying lifeless on the bed day after day, watching a par of scissors on her end table. Sound is just a complement, and that a sign of a good film maker is someone who can communicate a complex plot without using sound. This being said, I can see how sound and image can mutual influences each other, that the sound of a watermelon being smashed is nothing without the context of a child being run over by a tank. Ive seen the use of sound to bridge an edit and up until this reading this article was one of only two exclusive uses for sound, the other being the first example with the watermelon.
I never realized the paradox of hearing, it makes since once I think about it but it would have never dawned on me otherwise. Also the face that we hear better than we see, and like the paradox, it never would have dawned on. Hence, I want to rent and watch Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. I want to see if I can freeze the frame to see in face that the door doesn’t not open and its just a closed door cut to an open one. If that’s so, I’m going to kick myself because normally I’m really good at caching stuff like that. If sound can pull a trick like that then I guess I might maybe be wrong about image being everything.
I never thought about highlighting parts of the frame with sound. Like if im outside shooting in a market, which sounds do you use as background, the chatter of people or the blowing whistle of the wind? I guess it would depend on what you were using the shot for. If you wanted to make the protagonist be/look isolated in a crowd you would use the wind, if you wanted to the protagonist to be part of the group then the wind would be lessened. I guess it all a matter of context.

No comments:

Post a Comment