Monday, April 19, 2010

3-D workshop

Today we had our 3-D filmmaking workshop. I really enjoyed it not only because it showed me how production works in shooting in 3-D but also this class incorporated a good deal of the aspects we have used through out the semester. For example, we had to make 3-D glass, and it should come to no surprise that the film department is under funded; hence, there is only one pair of scissors between seven students trying to cut out to make paper glasses. What is one to do? Go back to the first assignment, in which we scratch film strips with a straight edge razor. So, that how most of use made our 3-D glasses today, by cutting them out with a straight razor. The evidence of our toils can be clearly seen all over the class tables, even after the paper scrapes were clean up. I guess I got a heave hand with sharp pointy objects or the school should not be so cheep in their tables, either one it is funny. I was neat to see that with two regular cameras you could made the 3-D effect. I had seen a double lens made by Cannon that fits on to one camera I coming into class today I was thinking that that’s what we were going to be working with. I guess that is a hot new item that is outside the price range of this institution. That Cannon lens I’m guessing is for polarized 3-D filmmaking and doesn’t require color correction to pull off. As my group experimented with 3-D depth of field during our shoot we would bring a persons and a person’s face close to the cameras. We could bring depth in the back ground of our shot. In post this would ruin the 3-D effect by separating into clearly left and right solid color sides. So what needs to happen to make this image appear to come out of the screen? I could imagine that maybe a reversal of the red and blue color at the point that an object is to project outwards. Beyond that I don not have any idea how an object would appear to come out of the screen. I wish I would have thought about during class so I could have asked about it or that it would be brought up that we are only working on 3-D deep depth of field and not extreme shallow depth of field.

No comments:

Post a Comment